Good morning from UKSG 2013! As promised last month the new look SUNCAT is now available for you to preview at http://test.suncat.ac.uk
The current service will continue as the primary service for the moment, but we would encourage you to take a look, experiment and let us have your feedback on the new service as soon as you get a chance.
The new service is still in development, so there are still issues to be resolved with keeping it up-to-date, searching and relevancy ranking, but to give you a flavour, the new service:
• Integrates information from the website and the actual service more closely, with the search box, a map of our Contributing Libraries and a feed of our latest news all on the homepage
• Enables searching limited to a specific library or selection of libraries: you will only see the serials’ holdings of libraries you have specified in your search
• Enables searching limited to a specific location or selection of locations, all the way from Inverness to Exeter: again you will only see the serials’ holdings in locations you have specified in your search.
• Plus you can combine library and location limits to suit your individual search requirements
• Enables searching limited to electronic or print serials only: helpful if you only want to see what might be immediately available online or conversely if want to see only material likely to be available via Inter-Library Loan.
• Enables filtering of search results by library, location, subject, organisation, publisher, date etc.
• Enables more sophisticated searching via the Advanced Search option
• Allows you to choose how many records you want to display on your search results screen
• Provides an alphabetical list of all the libraries holding a particular serial title
• Allows you to quickly see if holdings are print or electronic
• Opens up further information about each library, including directions, contact details, British Library code and when it was last updated in SUNCAT
If you are attending UKSG, please come along to the EDINA stand 26 and we will be happy to demo the service for you and answer your questions in person. However, you can also let us know what you think or if you have any questions or suggestions via the EDINA helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you like what you see!