We held a “Cataloguing with SUNCAT” webinar at the start of December with around 70 participants from a wide range of UK Higher Education, Further Education, government, NHS and specialist research institutions.
The webinar explained how data is handled in SUNCAT and how libraries benefit from it as a comprehensive source of quality bibliographic data, incorporating a free record downloading service. The session included information on:
- How easy it is to contribute to SUNCAT
- How data is sent to SUNCAT from our Contributing Libraries
- How we deal with standards, e.g. AACR2 & RDA
- What normalisation occurs and why
- How SUNCAT can make your cataloguing workflow more efficient
- Using the free MARC record downloading service
Questions covered bibliographic and holdings details around contributing data to SUNCAT; e-journal interlending; how records can be downloaded into local Library Management Systems; configuring the Z39.50 search results and how the Z39.50 downloading service might be improved.
More details about the webinar including the slides, Q&A and a recording of the session are available at http://www.suncat.ac.uk/news/presentations.html
Please contact the EDINA helpdesk, email@example.com, if you have any questions about issues raised in the webinar.